Friday, April 15, 2011

Support Your Local Musicslinger!


This Saturday (4/16/11) is the international Record Store Day, so I'm urging (if not begging) you to go out to support your local recorded music shop (if you're lucky enough to have one left near you). I'm taking my son (there is a new, RSD limited-edition Green Day/Husker Du vinyl single that I'm dangling in front of him to get him out the door)...gotta teach them well, they say.

It happens that there are a few releases of direct interest to the ska/reggae fan (though, of course, the overall list of RSD releases in the UK is much cooler that here in the US of A):

US:

- Peter Tosh, "Legalize It" b/w "Equal Rights," (7-inch)

(Here is the complete list of US RSD releases--I'll be picking up singles from The Cars, DBs, Ramones/Red Hot Chili Peppers, NY Dolls, and Bad Brains.)

UK:

- Big Audio Dynamite, limited-edition numbered single (7-inch)

- The Clash, “The Magnificent Seven,” on red vinyl and CD with different B-sides (7-inch, CD)

- Toots & The Maytals, "Do The Boogaloo" b/w "Bim Today, Bam Tomorrow," on heavyweight vinyl (7-inch, Trojan)

(Find the complete list of UK Record Store Day releases here.)

If somebody in the mother country could pick up the RSD releases by The Clash, BAD, Toots, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Smiths (The Queen is Dead on 10" vinyl!) for me, I'd sure appreciate it! Drop me a line!

2 comments:

Kames Jelly said...

My record store, The Sound Station in Westfield NJ, had live bands play all day. I played a sort of impromptu reggae/ska/rocksteady covers set. We call the band Screwface. Might turn into a regular thing.

Also, I only picked up two releases so far and the Peter Tosh was one of them.

Steve from Moon said...

Very cool, James!